Is Using Texas Olive Oil in Skincare a New Trend?
Olive oil has been around for well over 10,000 years. Its health benefits are well-known factors in many people’s choice to use it as their primary skincare treatment or preference for products containing it. This skincare trend is far from new, as its roots go further back than most history books dare to. Today, it is seeing renewed popularity with companies such as Texas Hill Country Olive Co., including their award-winning Texas olive oil in skincare products.
Skincare History – Olive Oil
From the Romans to the Egyptians, oil – particularly extra virgin olive oil (EVOO) – has had a long history within the realms of skincare. This luscious golden-green liquid has been known for its health benefits and ability to rejuvenate and replenish skin and hair.
The Greeks and Romans
Before soap, Greeks and Romans bathed in EVOO lathering, scraping it off with a strigil. Wealthier households would perfume the olive oils before bathing. Today’s modern equivalent is Castile soap – a hypoallergenic soap made from EVOO and lye. It is a popular soap for sensitive babies’ skin and households that value natural alternatives.
Olympians (particularly wrestlers) used olive oil to slicken their skin for fights and battles.
An early Greek Physician named Galen is credited with transitioning from oil to cream to commercial face cream. Galen’s Wax was made with a blend of EVOO, beeswax, and rosewater and is regarded as the world’s first cold cream. This mixture of ingredients is still used to this date as a treatment for psoriasis and eczema.
As one of the oldest beauty hubs, the ancient Egyptians had a role in almost all aspects of skincare and self-care – from ancient hair removal to cleansing rituals, there are a few areas they were not leaders in. Cleopatra was known to use olive oil on her skin. She would bathe with it and use it in her hair. A mixture of absorbent clay and olive oil was said to be used as a skin cleanser, almost akin to a soap. The clay would absorb dirt and draw out impurities while the EVOO cleaned the area. Mixtures of sea salt and olive oil were also used as ancient exfoliating scrubs!
Using Texas Olive Oil To Care for Your Skin At Home
Looking at its fantastic history, it is clear why many civilizations have opted to use it as part of their skincare rituals. You can benefit from EVOOs goodness at home with several different skincare routines:
- Oil cleansing – It might seem strange to use oil to cleanse your face; however it works better than you’d think. With a damp face, use a cotton pad dipped in Texas olive oil to gently clean your skin, focusing on problem areas. Use a warm wet towel to pat your face down when done.
- Diet – Adding good quality EVOO to your daily diet as a substitute for other cooking oils and on its own can help add powerful antioxidants to help combat UV damage.
- Moisturising – A drizzle of your favorite EVOO in your bath water or as a moisturizer as you get out of the shower is a great way to keep your skin hydrated.
- Ready-made products – Opting for specialist and locally produced EVOO-based skincare products is usually best – these are often created with particular skin care issues in mind. Have a look at the offering from Texas Hill Country Olive Co.!
No matter how you choose to use your EVOO as part of your daily care routines, it is essential to ensure that you use a high-quality variety that is full of goodness!
The Benefits Of Texas Olive Oil For Skin
As this liquid gold contains several potent cancer-fighting anti-oxidants, it helps to reduce oxidative stress from the body and the skin. Damage caused by exposure to the elements and harsh sunshine can be soothed by adding Texas olive oil to your daily moisturizing routine and diet. There are many other benefits to using EVOO, such as:
- It is natural – With many people opting for more natural skincare treatments, this is as natural as it comes. Using EVOO as a skin treatment frees your skin from harsh chemicals and unpronounceable ingredients.
- Hypoallergenic – The skin is the body’s biggest organ and can be pretty sensitive. EVOO might be the best option for those looking for a hypoallergenic alternative to regular moisturizers and cleansers!
- Readily available – Most households these days have EVOO in their kitchen cupboards; should you ever run out of your favorite products, you can readily use food-grade EVOO instead!
- Excellent exfoliant – Its powerful anti-oxidants are a great way to cleanse pores – you can easily remove even stubborn-to-reach blackheads with the help of oil cleansing.
- Locks in moisture – Change of season can be tough on all skin types – often leaving your skin feeling tired, worn-out, and dry. EVOO is an excellent way to lock in moisture and keep your skin feeling supple and smooth!
There are many additional benefits to using this delicious ingredient on your skin; you might be wondering whether it makes a difference what type or variety of EVOO is best to use for topical applications. Robust varieties offer various naturally occurring fatty acids, antioxidants, and vitamin E.
The Naked Truth: Beauty Is More Than Skin Deep
Skincare has a long history; humans have spent thousands of years perfecting their skincare routines and diets to ensure that their skin stays in top form. A thing that the ancient civilizations learned was that beauty is a little more than skin deep. What you put into your body is what you get out of it.
While topical EVOO is the first choice for skincare, it is vital to understand that the quality of your skin comes from within. Adding Texas olive oil to your daily diet can help increase your anti-oxidants and offer vitamins A and E, which are vital for glowing complexions. These health benefits can help keep your skin nourished and damage-free.